I have worked on perfecting this ravioli recipe over the years. The first rendition was on my first blog way back in 2009. Every fall I seem to work on improving this dish, and I think I have the filling finally balanced and delicious.
To be honest I’m not a huge fan of savory pumpkin dishes. In this final revision the addition of meaty chunks of Chanterelle Mushrooms and tangy goat cheese blend perfectly with the pumpkin.
These ravioli are quick and easy and will easily impress your friends and family. The quick trick is to use wonton wrappers instead of making your own pasta dough. With all my trials I found that the “Thick” wonton wrappers are the best, the thin ones make for a weird texture.
The flavors are full but delicate so I chose to top them with a simple brown butter. I always use unsalted butter but once the butter has browned I throw in minced prosciutto to give a bit of saltiness. Sage is also added to the hot browned butter to give a nice autumnal flavor flavor.
I paired these delicious little bundles with the Sbragia Family Vineyards 2018 Home Ranch Chardonnay. If you read about pairings like I do this may not sound like the first choice for a pairing. Most would say that chardonnay would overwhelm the brown butter or vice a versa, but I enjoyed the pairing. I felt the lemon peel and oak notes in the wine really complimented the autumnal flavors.
Note: My photos don’t show sage or the hazelnuts, because I was out of Sage and my plant died in the garden. I also just totally forgot to add the hazelnuts, I do like the crunch they give. Flat leaf parsley was used as a substitute.
Pumpkin Chanterelle Ravioli
- 1/2 can pumpkin puree 15 ounce can
- 3/4 cup whole milk ricotta
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 4 ounces goat cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg freshly grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- pinch cayenne
- pinch cinnamon
- 1/2 lemon zest
- 1/2 lemon juice
- 4 sage leaves minced
- splash apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1/3 cups minced chanterelles
- 2 package thick wonton wrappers
- 3/4 stick unsalted butter
- toasted hazelnuts chopped
- prosciutto minced
Pumpkin Chanterelle Ravioli:
- Mix pumpkin puree thru apple cider vinegar and set aside.
- Over medium high heat melt the tablespoon of butter and sauté the mushrooms until they release their juices and get a little browned, set aside to cool.
- Once mushrooms have cooled slightly mix them into the pumpkin filling mixture.
- Take wonton wrappers and place a few out on a board and with a teaspoon place a teaspoon +/- of the filling in the center of the wrapper. Don’t use too much because then they won’t close up fully and will fall apart. Dip your finger in water and wet the 2 edges of the wrapper and fold over to form a triangle.
- Set aside while you finish the rest. I like to lay them on a baking sheet lined with waxed paper and cover with a damp flour sack towel until ready to use.
- The amount of filling makes about 1 and 1/2 packages of wrappers.
- Heat a large pot of water and bring to a boil. Add in the ravioli and once the ravioli float to the surface cook for 1-3 minutes and then gently remove and drain and place on a platter and drizzle with brown butter sauce and toasted hazelnuts.
Brown Butter Sauce:
- To make the brown butter, in a small skillet melt the butter over medium low heat until the butter turns a golden brown color, swirl so it doesn’t burn. Add in chopped sage and prosciutto, remove from heat once the prosciutto sizzles! When spooning the butter over the ravioli make sure to not pick up of the brown bits on the bottom of the pan.