If you’re like me, you love a good tennis match. Sometimes it’s fun to have people over to watch and there’s no better tournament for TV viewing than the U.S. Open. Serena Williams is going for the Grand Slam — the most difficult achievement in the sport and one only accomplished by a very select few players over the entire history of the game.
The U.S. Open takes place during the dog days of summer and few things say summer like crab and tomatoes, and these are the stars of this sandwich. I’ve had quite a bountiful harvest of ripe tomatoes this season and I’ve really enjoyed coming up with recipes for enjoying them. So, I created a delicious BLT with crab meat. Yum!
I love putting these summer flavors together into this easy to make crab melt. The flavors of the sweet, rich crab and tomatoes married with creamy avocado, salty bacon, fresh, crisp lettuce and sharp Swiss cheese are the perfect combination to enjoy in the backyard or in front of the TV.
- 8 slices sourdough bread or other artisanal white bread slices
- 1 pound of pepper bacon, cooked crispy, drained and crumbled*
- 1 cup Dungeness crab meat
- 2 heirloom tomatoes, sliced
- 1 cup Swiss cheese
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 large ripe avocado, smashed
- Start by toasting the bread slices, either in a toaster or in a 350 degree oven for 5-10 minutes.
- Mix the bacon, crab and swiss cheese together. Add enough mayonnaise just to hold the entire mixture together. Season with salt and pepper as well as the Worcestershire sauce.
- Divide the crab mixture between four of the slices of toasted bread and place on a baking sheet. Broil until the cheese is melty and you have a nice golden color.
- Top each slice with slices of tomato and lettuce. Divide the smashed avocado over the 4 other slices of toast and top each sandwich. Slice in half and enjoy!