Did you know that today November 1st is National Cook for your Pet Day?! I love making homemade treats for my pets. My pets are my children and I want to know that they live a healthy life. So just like our meals I try to know exactly what ingredients go into everything so that we don’t have unnecessary chemicals or preservatives.
View this post on Instagram
Back when Elphie was little I started making homemade dog treats, her and our first chocolate lab Skylos both loved them as did the dogs of our friends and family. I don’t remember where I first found the base recipe but over the years it has evolved into this treat. I also make a few other varieties such as a pumpkin dog treat and have worked on a few grain free versions.
These make great holiday gifts or hostess gifts for friends that have dogs too!
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tb. Olive Oil
- 1 Tb. Honey
- ¾ cup chicken stock or Beef/Veggie stocks
- 3 cups whole-wheat flour
- ½ cup cornmeal
- egg wash
- Whisk the first 4 ingredients together, and then slowly incorporate the flour and cornmeal. Whisk at first until it’s to thick then use a spoon.
- Knead the mixture until it comes together, wrap in plastic wrap and form into a disc, place in fridge for at least an hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. On a floured surface roll out dough ½ inch thick, cut into dog bone shapes or desired shape. Place on sheet and bake for 25 minutes or until crisp, but not hard.
- Store treats in airtight container, in the fridge.