Classic Huevos Rancheros is a breakfast meal, but I love to serve it for dinner. I usually make this dish when I travel and stay in a vacation rental. You don’t need fancy kitchen equipment or tons of herbs and spices to make this great, flavorful dish. I also find it easy to create great meals with eggs when traveling on a budget. A dozen eggs can make numerous meals and they typically only cost $4 or so for good quality, organic types.
Whether you’re traveling or at home, Huevos Rancheros makes a nice comfort meal — in the morning or at dinnertime.
- olive oil
- ½ red bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, minced
- 3 green onions, diced
- 1 1/4 ounce can black beans
- 1 1/4 ounce can white or yellow hominy
- 4 plum tomatoes (you can substitute a 14 ounce can of diced tomatoes)
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup salsa of your choice
- 4-6 eggs
- Crispy corn tortillas
- Cilantro leaves
- Sour cream
- Shredded cheese or feta is good, too
- Add a tablespoon olive oil to a large skillet with lid. Add in the bell pepper, jalapeño, garlic and green onions. Sauté until softened, but not browned. Add in hominy, tomatoes, black beans, seasonings and salsa. Cook until all is heated through and the tomatoes break down a bit to form a sauce.
- Break eggs one at a time into a small bowl and then gently nestle them into the sauce. Do this with each egg, one at a time. Cover and cook for about 10 minutes over medium heat until the egg whites have set up and you still have a soft yolk.
- Dish a spoonful of the bean mixture on to a hard tortilla and then top with an egg. Add toppings of your choice and enjoy!
Leave a Reply