I have been making this Green Tomato Jam for a few years now and it has has fast become a fan favorite. I’m always looking for delicious ways to use up Green Tomatoes, although it seems with climate change we are having warmer summers and the tomatoes all ripen.
The savory bites in this jam come from the delicious bits of bacon that are dispersed within the sweet jam. I use this as a spread on a cheese board, in grilled cheese sandwiches, and add a slathering of it on your B.L.T. and it’s out of this world.
I make a big batch and then freeze in 8 ounce containers and thaw when needed. They also make great hostess gifts.
If you have any green tomatoes still in your garden go harvest them and get to making this delicious jam that will be in demand for years to come.
Green Tomato Jam
- 4 pounds green tomatoes chopped
- 4 shallots, large chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1.5 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 package bacon diced and cooked crisp
- Add the tomatoes, garlic, and shallots to a food processor and pulse till finely chopped, do this in batches.
- Cook the chopped bacon until crisp in a large pot over medium high heat. Remove with a slotted spoon, set aside. Drain off most the bacon fat and discard.
- In same large pot add in the chopped ingredients along with everything else, except the bacon. Bring to a boil, stir often.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until it is thickened to the consitency of jam, this will take an hour or more. Stir in the bacon bits.
- Cool, and divide among containers and label. Freeze upwards of a year.
- Enjoy with a cheese board, on a B.L.T. etc.