Earlier this spring I was asked by my friends at Laurel Glen Vineyard to create a pairing recipe for their 2016 Counterpoint Cabernet Sauvignon. Counterpoint is the perfect weeknight Cab and I wanted a recipe that would be simple and straight forward, something that you could easily whip up after a long day at work.
Tasting notes for the 2015 Counterpoint from Robert Parker mentioned the flavors of Chinese Five Spice. As you know from previous recipes this is a favorite spice of mine and I thought it had to be part of my recipe for pairing with the 2016 Counterpoint.
90 points, Robert Parker’s Wine Advocate: “. . . fragrant cassis, crushed plums and blueberry scents with hints of Chinese five spice, camphor and lilacs. Medium to full-bodied, the palate is filled with juicy black fruits, with a plush frame and oodles of freshness, finishing with a lively lift.”
After much thought and research I came up with this delicious simple Beef Lettuce Wrap dish. The flavorful beef and mushroom mixture is full of sweet and savory zing and by serving it in crisp spring lettuce leaves you get a freshness and crunch. The Counterpoint is a great match and it makes for the perfect mid week dinner!
Give this quick and easy meal a try this summer but make sure you order yourself some Laurel Glen Wine too, tell them Shaun sent you!
Also if you get a bottle of their Rosé check out my recipe for a Dungeness Crab Spring Tart.
Beef Lettuce Wraps
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 small shallot diced (about 3 tbsp.)
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ pound Shiitake mushrooms diced
- 1 tsp. vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp. Counterpoint Cabernet Sauvignon
- 2 tbsp. oyster sauce
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. sesame oil
- ½ tsp. Chinese Five Spice powder
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. cornstarch
- 2 tbsp. water
- butter lettuce leaves
- green onions sliced on the diagonal
- radishes thinly sliced
- cucumber sliced into sticks
- red pepper flakes
- sesame seeds
- Combine all the sauce ingredients together in a bowl; whisk to incorporate the cornstarch, set aside.
- Heat a skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Add the garlic, shallot and shiitake mushrooms. Sauté until the mushrooms start to release their liquid. Do not burn the garlic or shallots. Add in the beef and break it up and let it crumble and brown.
- Once the beef is fully cooked, deglaze the pan with the Counterpoint Cabernet Sauvignon.
- Stir in the sauce and let it come to a boil. Continue to let it bubble until the sauce thickens and fully coats the beef mixture. Remove from heat.
- To serve spoon some of the beef mixture into a lettuce leaf, garnish with your choice of the garnishes and enjoy! Enjoy along with a glass of the 2016 Counterpoint for a delightful meal.