This summer the fresh blueberries have been amazing. Every time I would stop at a produce stand or the farmers market I bought some. I love fresh tart sweet blueberries and love to come up with new recipes to use them. Some of my favorite recipes are my Healthy Blueberry Muffins and my Blackberry Blueberry Muffins with Lavender Honey Butter (this recipe coming in the future).
While in Napa, Kevin and I made a trip to Dean & Deluca where I found the most amazing Maple syrup infused with Vanilla. We served this syrup when Kevin made his famous French Toast on the morning of our wedding. I brought the remaining syrup home with us and set out to find new delicious ways to incorporate this syrup into recipes.
With an abundance of blueberries and this vanilla maple syrup I knew a cake was in the works. I decided to try a blueberry upside-down cake that way the beautiful blue berries would melt and be a beautiful top to this cake, otherwise they tend to sink or be lost. I also knew that I wanted to flavor the whipped cream with the syrup to give an extra layer of flavor. Everyone that I have shared this cake with loves it, it’s a very thin cake so it’s not overly filling after a big dinner. I hope you’ll find some good berries and vanilla maple syrup and make this for you friends!
- Springform pan
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 lemon, zest and juice of 1/2
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons vanilla infused maple syrup
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2-4 tablespoons syrup (to your taste)
- Start by greasing a springform pan and lining bottom with parchment paper, set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift together the flour, salt, and baking powder.
- In a stand mixer cream together the white sugar and butter, until light and fluffy. Add in the eggs one at a time until incorporated. Add the vanilla and lemon zest. Slowly on low speed add in the flour mixture, until incorporated.
- Mix the blueberries with the lemon juice, brown sugar and syrup. Pour blueberries into bottom of prepared pan and then gently spoon in batter, using a spatula gently spread batter out. The batter won't go to the edges of the pan, just try to cover as much of the blueberries as possible.
- Bake in oven for about 30 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. remove from oven and run a knife around edge of cake. Gently remove sides of springform pan, place cake plate on top of cake and gently invert, let cake fully cool before serving.
- Place the chilled cream in a bowl of a mixer with whisk attachment. Whisk until you have soft peaks. Slowly pour in desired amount of vanilla infused maple syrup while whisking on low. Taste and determine how sweet you would like.
- Slice cake into wedges and serve with a dollop of the whipped cream!