I’m prepping for my annual Halloween party this week. A good party starts with really good finger foods. I love to take recipes that are typically not used as finger foods and find ways to serve them in small bite size amounts.
A classic way to serve finger foods is to use crostini as the vehicle that transports whatever it is you’re serving. It’s very important to remember that this should be BITE size! There is nothing worse than having a chewy piece of toasted bread and you can’t take it as one bite. Most the time, the topping falls off and then you have a mess on your carpet. If you make finger foods small enough for just one bite, your guests will enjoy the bite so much more.
Bloody Mary Shrimp Shooters is a dish I always serve at my parties. I love to make my classic Bloody Mary cocktail sauce and then serve it with two good size prawns in a shot glass. Serving the shrimp in individual glasses makes sure you don’t have a problem with guests “double dipping.” I found great shot glasses at Ikea — you get six for three bucks — and you can use them for other party foods as well. Watch for a whole bunch of cocktail shot glass recipes in the future.
- Medium to large shrimp, enough for 2 in each shot glass
- Bloody Mary sauce
- Shot glasses
- 2 cups good ketchup
- 1 cup pepper vodka (use my Jalapeño Vodka)
- 1 cup lemon juice (bottled works just fine here)
- ½ cup horseradish
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- Mix all sauce ingredients together and chill completely. Make a day ahead for the best flavor.
- Pour sauce into each shot glass to fill half way. Place two shrimp in each and chill util ready to serve.
- Make this even more like a Bloody Mary and serve with the addition of a pickled green bean or asparagus.