BBQ Chicken Lettuce Wraps
One of the easiest ways to serve food at a party is to have a “make it yourself” menu. Your guests feel as if they are a part of things and you, as the host, get to enjoy the party as much as your guests. Everyone is more relaxed if you aren’t running around doing everything yourself.
I’ve had parties where guests have built their own burgers, tacos and salads. My new favorite party menu is for guests to build their own lettuce wraps. There are so many different toppings and fillings, plus lettuce wraps are healthy.
This year, I’m serving my BBQ Chicken Lettuce Wraps at my Super Bowl party.
They take the flavors of the classic buffalo chicken but are fun to make (and healthy). I love to serve all kinds of toppings with these: blue cheese is a classic, but I also have cucumber, radish, cilantro and a red cabbage slaw.
You can make the chicken ahead of time and then reheat, so there is nothing that will need to cook while your guests are there and you can have guests bring toppings to share.
I hope you’ll give my BBQ Chicken Lettuce Wraps a try this Sunday at your Super Bowl party.
- 2-4 chicken breasts
- 1 cup BBQ sauce of your choice, plus more for tossing.
- 1 ½ cups chicken broth
- Bibb lettuce leaves
- Crumbled blue cheese
- Hot sauce
- Sliced radishes
- Slivers of cucumber
- Cilantro leaves
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix the BBQ sauce and chicken broth together in a casserole dish. Place the chicken breasts into mixture and turn to coat. Cover with lid or foil and bake in oven for 1 hour. After 1 hour, flip the chicken breasts and bake another 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and place chicken breasts on a cutting board. With two forks, shred chicken. Place chicken in a bowl and toss with more BBQ sauce to coat.
- Spoon some chicken onto lettuce leaf, top with toppings of choice and roll as you would a tortilla.
- ½ head of red cabbage – shredded
- 1 jalapeño pepper, minced
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- ¼ cup sour cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients except cabbage and mix.
- Shred cabbage finely, with a shredding attachment on a food processor or a mandolin.
- Add in cabbage and toss together.
- Let the slaw sit in the fridge for at least 1 hour before serving.
Leave a Reply