I’m not going to write up a lot here, it’s straight forward, you NEED this Bread Pudding!
It’s a simple straightforward recipe and yet it’s so delicious and becomes even more decadent with the addition of homemade caramel sauce. Most bread pudding in my opinion is just plain blah. They have very little flavor and have a mushy texture. My recipe is overloaded with flavors that all compliment each other and scream autumn. It has a nice creamy center while having a crusty top.
This is a perfect dessert for any seasonal gathering but would be a great addition to your Thanksgiving meal.
- 1 loaf challah - cubed about 8-9 cups
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus extra to butter pan
- 5 cups Honey Crisp Apples, peeled cored diced, (about 5 apples)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 3 whole eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 can pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Melt butter in saute pan over medium heat. Add Apples , saute 5 minutes or so. Add 2 Tb. Sugar and combine until golden and they will brake down a bit. Sprinkle in cranberries and continue to sauté for another 5 minutes until they start popping.
- Whisk Cream, eggs, yolks, pumpkin, 1/2 cup sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, cardamom together in a mixing bowl. In a very large bowl mix apple cranberry mixture with bread cubes, toss to cool down apple mixture. Stir in egg cream mixture and continue to turn to allow all the bread to get coated and absorbed. Pour mixture into a buttered 8x11x3 baking pan, push down to really press the mixture fully in.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 50-60 minutes, until a knife inserted comes out clean. Allow to cool slightly before cutting or cool completely before refrigerating. This is very easy to reheat as well, place back in a 350 degree for 20 minutes or so, covered if you want a soft pudding or uncovered if you’d like a crunchy top.
- Combine all ingredients in a pan over medium high heat.
- Bring to boil and stir to dissolve sugar. Boil for 10 minutes or so until it is thickened and can coat a spoon. Make ahead and reheat slowly.
- To serve cut a square of bread pudding and serve with good ice cream and drizzle with warm caramel sauce.