I love this time of year because we can get fresh cranberries at the local supermarket. I use them in so many different ways, from cocktails and desserts to sauces and salads. My current favorite is this raw version which is sweet, tart and delicious. You can make this at the last minute and it takes no cooking skills, just the ability to use a food processor. This recipe makes a large salad. The leftovers are great on vanilla ice cream!
- 3 cups fresh cranberries
- 2 crisp apples, peeled and cored
- 2 seedless oranges, cut into chunks
- Seeds from 1 pomegranate
- ½ cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1 2/3 cup sugar
- Start by pulsing walnuts into a fine chop in the food processor, remove to a bowl.
- Pulse the oranges in the food processor until fine but not mushy. Remove to bowl with walnuts, and repeat with apples and cranberries, and add to walnut mixture.
- Mix all your chopped mixture together. Add in pomegranate seeds and stir in sugar. Let stand at room temperature until sugar dissolves into mixture. Chill or serve at room temperature.