My Sweet Potato side dish is the most raved about dish at my Thanksgiving table — it’s always one of the first to go. This is the easiest and tastiest way to make sweet potatoes on Thanksgiving (or anytime — it’s the perfect autumn or winter dish) and it can be prepared a few days ahead to help reduce stress on Thanksgiving day.
I came across this recipe years ago from good friends who moved to the Northwest from the South. This is not my recipe; it’s a classic from their family and with that it became a must have at our family table as well. It’s become known as Sweet Potato Crack over the years because its, well… addictively good.
- 6 cups mashed sweet potatoes (If using canned, it’s 2 - 28 oz cans)
- 2 cups of sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- 4 cup rice chex
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 stick butter
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Grease a 13 x 9 baking dish.
- Mix the first 8 ingredients (sweet potatoes through marshmallows) in a large mixing bowl.
- Pour into prepared baking dish.
- Add pecans to a food processor and pulse to chop; add in rice chex and pulse to chop, as well. In a saucepan, melt butter and add brown sugar until mixed. Mix butter mixture into pecans & rice chex. Spread topping on top of sweet potatoes.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 40 minutes.
- I have found that this dish retains heat well, so you can easily bake it off and then let it rest while you use the oven space for your other dishes.