Summer Grilled Fresh Green Beans
I love summer and I love that I can go out in my backyard and basically pick dinner. Green beans were some of the first things that started producing in my garden. Fresh green beans straight from the garden are the best and they really don’t compare to anything you can buy in the store any other time of the year.
I plant two varieties of green beans: a bush variety and a climbing variety. I started doing this because I found that at least in my yard, the bush variety starts producing first.
This year, I also planted a French variety (which is a climbing one) and it’s already giving us a few beans a day.
When cooking fresh green beans, I don’t like to over do it, I like to keep it simple. I also love to use the grill whenever I can, so grilling green beans is almost a nightly part of dinner around our house.
If you don’t have your own harvest of green beans, I hope you can find some fresh ones at the farmers market and grill them up tonight.
- Green beans
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1-2 cloves garlic- minced
- Trim and wash your green beans.
- Toss the beans with a light amount of olive oil and salt and pepper.
- Heat your grill and preheat a grill basket or sheet — obviously you can’t grill the beans directly on the grill since they will fall through. I love having a grill basket so that I can grill everything.
- Toss the beans into the grill basket, and cook for a few minutes over high heat. With tongs, toss the beans around so that the bottom ones don’t get burnt. Keep tossing, you want them all to have some charred black spots but not crisp. Taste a bean along the way to see when they are just al dente, the bigger the bean the longer it will take. I find if your beans are fresh from picking they only take about 3 minutes!
- Remove from the grill into a bowl, toss with the minced garlic and serve! The raw garlic will cook slightly from the heat of the beans but will give it a great fresh punch of garlic and spice!
Serve with a poached egg and toast and you have a delicious breakfast!!!