Once you try these cookies they will be in your recipe file for the rest of your life and will be passed down generations! These cookies melt in your mouth and there is really nothing else like them. The secret ingredient is sometimes a bit challenging to find but it can easily be purchased at amazon.com. This ingredient is called baking ammonia, which is a very old version of baking powder/baking soda. But there really is no substitute for this. Order a little jar and make these cookies!
One of my family's traditional Christmas Cookies. Once you try them you'll make them part of your family traditions too.
Write a review
- 1 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 tsp. baking ammonia
- 2 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup sweet shredded coconut
- Preheat the oven to 325° degrees.
- Cream the butter, shortening and sugar together until fully incorporated. Stir in the baking ammonia (it is smelly).
- Mix in the flour slowly and then incorporate in the coconut.
- With a small tablespoon, scoop and plop the dough out onto a cookie sheet, lined with parchment paper.
- Place the cookie sheet in the oven and bake for 18 minutes, until the cookies no longer have the baking ammonia smell.
- Let the cookies rest on the the cookie sheet for 2-4 minutes and then cool on a wire rack.
- Store in an airtight container and enjoy!
Shaun Myrick http://www.shaunmyrick.com/
Leave a Reply