Caprese salads are all the rage these days. It seems every restaurant has their own take on this simple dish. We’re blessed with wonderful fresh tomatoes right now and guess what? The Caprese salad flavor profile is the perfect addition to every meal, and I mean every meal!
I’ve been known to toss some cherry tomatoes, basil and mozzarella with scrambled eggs. A Caprese panini makes a delicious lunch and my Avocado Caprese is the perfect side dish for dinner.
So, here is my Avocado Caprese recipe. Make it your own, use it as a foundation and get creative with these wonderful, and quintessentially Italian summer flavors.
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes halved (I like to use a variety of color and shapes)
- 1 cup cilligene, small fresh mozzarella balls, cut in half
- ½ cup torn, fresh basil leaves
- 1 firm but ripe avocado
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Whisk the olive oil into the vinegar in the bottom of the bowl. Add in the other ingredients and gently toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper and enjoy!