As the weather changes so do our drinking habits. Most of us move from Rosé to full bodied Cabernets, or from vodka drinks to whiskey cocktails. Everyone seems to be obsessed with Pumpkin Spice but why limit the great sweet & spicy flavors of fall to just pumpkin?
I love the fresh sweet pears that are in season this time of year. Years ago when Absolut came out with pear vodka I was obsessed. My favorite Seattle restaurant back then had a pear martini and it was delicious. On my first version of this blog I made a roasted pear cocktail and it was tasty, I will repost that recipe someday.
I wanted to create a new cocktail that took my favorite fall flavors and expressed each perfectly. This drink that I came up with has sweetness, spice, and yet it goes down so easily. Served on the rocks but I like to shake it up first and then pour it into a glass with more ice, this adds a frothy element.
The combination of whiskey,brandy and apple cider is delicious but combined with a spicy pear simple syrup it gives you all the great flavors of fall. Now we just need to pull out our favorite sweaters, and sit around the fire pit and enjoy the crisp fall evenings while sipping this delicious cocktail.
- 1 fresh sweet pear, cored and chopped
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 star anise
- 1 chunk fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 ounces whiskey
- 1 ounce brandy
- 1 ounce pear spiced simple syrup
- 1 ounce apple cider
- Combine the ingredients in a saucepan and over medium heat bring to a simmer until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and let cool completely. Once cooled strain the pear and ginger from the syrup. I like to keep the cinnamon stick and star anise in the syrup as I think they keep adding flavor. Keep in fridge until needed.
- Add all ingredients into a martini shaker and shake with ice till chilled and frothy. Pour into a glass and add more ice!
- You could just combine the ingredients for the cocktail in the glass without shaking, it just won't be frothy and as cold.